Doesn’t everyone want to get better at golf? Of course! And “get better at golf” means something different to each and every player. Maybe it’s a lower handicap, or a higher level of comfort and confidence. Maybe it’s all about having more fun with the game. Think about what “get better at golf” means to you. That’s the starting point for setting some measurable short-term goals for the new season. Goals keep us focused and motivated so let’s get to it…
nike free trainer 7.0 reviews
A Goal is…
- Not necessarily score-based, but measurable
- Challenging and realistic – think Goldilocks, not too big, not too small, just right
- Not in concrete – you can change them over the season
- Documented. Write them in your golf journal. Don’t have a journal? Start one – there’s a measurable goal right there!
3 TYPES OF GOLF GOALS
1. Performance Goals
Consider strengths and weaknesses in your game. Think about last year. Talk to your instructor. Pinpoint areas of weakness and make a plan to improve.
Example: Lower my putting average by 3 strokes by October
- Take a putting lesson in May
- Do a putter fitting to find out best type of putter for my swing
- Find a set up routine that works and use it every time I putt
- Practice putting 1/2 hour 3 times a week
- Keep track of putting stats throughout the season
2. Mental Goals
On the course we can go from confident to confused in a matter of minutes. Identify the mental skills you want to sharpen. Facing down tension? Maintaining commitment? Staying focused on your game instead of what your partner is doing?
nike air max trainer
Example: Increase my comfort level playing golf
- Join a league or be a sub for a league
- Play that course you always avoid
- Play a round alone – you’ll feel what relaxation can do for your game!
- Play in one event this summer
- Play on a Saturday or Sunday morning when the course is busy and everyone’s watching
3. All-About-Fun Goals
Never forget why we play golf! It’s all about having a good time, and whether your personal definition of “good time” is a championship trophy or a grandkid’s smile, there are lots of ways to get there. Here are some All-About-Fun Goals for the upcoming season. Be sure to make several!
- Play in a charity event
- Sign up for a competition and prepare to succeed
- Take a lesson or clinic with a friend or two or three
- Make a FIRM date with person you always mean to play with, and never have
- Play with a kid – Huron Hills has Wee Tees!
- Get 3 friends together for a golf get-away
- Ask a new golfer to play with you
- Go see some competitive golf in person
Write them down; make them yours. Golf goals are all about “getting better” one way or another!